I am a huge fan of strawberries. Well all berries, but especially strawberries. So when I saw them on sale (I think 2/$5) the other day at the grocery store I snagged up 2 pints. Why I thought that these early strawberries would last awhile I’m not sure. So when they started to go a bit soft, my husband suggested to make something out of them before they went really bad. My hunt started on what I had already pinned, then to my favorite blogs for more inspiration. That is when I found THE recipe on Our Best Bites.
The recipe is super simple and delicious. It took me about 10 minutes total because I chose to cut up the strawberries a bit, mainly because as I said they were going bad. I’ve enjoyed eating the sauce over waffles! I haven’t tried it on anything else yet but I think it’d be great on ice cream. The ladies over on Our Best Bites suggested it on Angel Food Cake…which sounds divine! Anyway, here’s how to make it:
Strawberry Sauce (Original Recipe from Our Best Bites)
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1/3 cup suger
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla, I decided on almond at the recommendation of Our Best Bites)
- Wash strawberries, hull, and chop roughly.
- Combine berries, sugar and almond extract in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up berries.
- Remove from heat and let cool. If you have a glass blender you can wait a few minutes, a plastic one wait awhile. (You don’t want to melt your plastic!)
- Pour sauce into blender and puree. I pureed until smooth, if you want it chunkier then don’t puree as long.
That’s it! I didn’t use mine until the following morning so I poured it into a container and let cool before putting in the fridge. I like it a bit warm to serve, so just pop in the microwave for 10 seconds to heat up, pour on whatever you’d like, and enjoy!
What are your favorite strawberry recipes? Other ideas for cooking up berries before they go bad?