The Dollar Shave Club asked me to post about how I shave time and money. Lately I’ve felt like I really need to find some extra time, but here’s what I do:
- Budgets! I can’t stress the importance of a budget enough. Once you know how much you need for essentials (rent, utilities, car payments, insurance, etc.) then you know what you have to spend. We’ve given ourselves “allowances” so we can buy things for ourselves guilt-free. That means I can buy a new pair of shoes and not worry if we’re dipping into money we don’t have.
- I am not a big couponer but I like to use them if they are easy. Apps from Safeway and Target make it simple to add coupons and then shop. Safeway loads it onto my card so I don’t even have to worry about pulling out a phone or coupons. Target you present the bar code and then it applies. I don’t always buy everything that way but it adds up.
- So I’ll admit, we haven’t signed up for the Dollar Shave Club yet, but razors are expensive! We are considering signing up. The razor options look enticing and we have a few friends that love it. Are you a member? Let me know what you think!
- I’ve talked about my struggles with saying no and managing time in the past, so you know it’s hard for me. I wish there was better mass transit options to/from work, because I loved reading while on the subway in college. I’d do that again in a heartbeat – it’s a great time to get work done while sitting on a bus or train that someone else is driving. It would have been awesome in grad school.
- Leftovers. I rarely have time to cook thanks to my commute. By the time I get home all I want to do is eat and sit on the couch. So we tend to make casseroles and things that easily last a few days. This makes dinner easy during the week. I also love me a good crock pot recipe. Sometimes I prep the night before then in the morning all I have to do is put in the pot and turn on. No chopping required. (I did prep something in the morning once and starting my day tearing up cutting onions was not fun.)
- Scheduling posts on my blog. Yep, I wrote this way before you read it. This means I’m writing at night (while watching random TV, this week it’s football) and publishing at the time that makes the most sense. This also means I can write multiple posts at once and get them ready for a week.
Those are some ways that I shave time and money. What are some ways you get extra time into your day or money into your pocket?